The mission of the Information Technology Group is to support the strategic goals of the APS and the APS Upgrade and to provide access to the latest computer and network technology for the purposes of enhancing science, the operation of the APS, and furthering the goals set by the APS management. To that end, the various responsibilities of the group are as follows:
- Set up, maintain and support the APS computer infrastructure including managing APS Enterprise networks, firewalls, Internet access tools, computer servers, and printers, server and desktop backups, and supporting all DOE and Argonne Laboratory cyber security policies.
- Provide technical support to the APS beamlines in the planning, acquisition, and operation of computers and networking equipment.
- Provide technical support to the APS accelerator control systems in the planning, acquisition, and operation of computers and networking equipment.
- Provide support for the APS staff in the use of software tools and computer technology to be effective and efficient in their work.
- Provide software support, including installation of software purchased by and for the performance of Laboratory business.