The Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) is responsible for advising the APS Associate Laboratory Director in the following areas:
- To evaluate the scientific output and facility utilization for all APS sectors.
- To examine performance and recommend appropriate beamtime allocation for existing Collaborative Access Teams (CATs).
- To evaluate Letters of Intent and scientific proposals for new and reconstituted CATs.
- To provide advice to and review decisions by APS management on special operations support for CATs.
- To review Special Program proposals, a new mode of access that will guarantee 10-30% the beam time per year on any sector for a finite period of time.
- To assist the APS with development of policies and other issues as appropriate.