The Advanced Photon Source
a U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science User Facility

Identification Documents

Argonne National Laboratory is a controlled-access facility and approval for site access is required. When you arrive, you will be asked to present identification documents. An Argonne site access pass cannot be issued without the appropriate identification. The appropriate forms of identification are listed below.

U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens under the age of 17 must bring photo-identification that has been issued by the federal government to obtain site access, which include:

  • Driver's license meeting REAL ID standards
  • State issued ID
  • US passport
  • Federally-issued identification
  • HSPD-12 credentials
  • DOE or NNSA laboratory-issued IDs
  • Original school or university issued ID PLUS a birth certificate or social security card (if under the age of 18)
Non-U.S. Citizens

Upon arrival to Argonne, non-U.S. citizens must bring their VALID ORIGINAL passport and applicable visa with any USCIS documentation supporting the visa status and/or renewals:

  • F-1:passport, visa and I-20
  • J-1: passport, visa and DS2019
  • B1: passport. visa and I-94
  • H-1passport, visa and I-94 OR passport, I-797 and I-94
  • EAD card (OPT status):passport, EAD card and I-20 (include third page of I-20)

NOTE:Foreign nationals with the following visa classifications are NOT eligible to hold either an Argonne appointment or conduct hands-on work at an Argonne user facility:  W/T, B2, J2, F2, and H4.

Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States

Upon arrival to Argonne, lawful permanent residents of the United States must bring their Green Card AND a government-issued identification document that includes a photograph, such as a driver’s license. If legal permanent resident card is pending, valid passport and work authorization extension (EAD card, I-20, DS-2019, I-797) must be provided with I-485 or I-551 stamp.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) Participants

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participants must present their original and unexpired machine-readable passport with a valid I-94 stamp.

Effective January 9, 2009, foreign travelers coming into the U.S. under the VWP must "pre-authorize" themselves online through the "Electronic System for Travel Authorization" (ESTA). It is recommended that you log into ESTA as far in advance of your travel as possible, but no less than 72 hours before departure.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens must present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS* or FAST*). Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are issued only by Michigan, New York, Vermont, Washington, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.

Mexican Citizens

Mexican citizens are required to present a passport with visa or a Border Crossing Card. A SENTRI* Traveler Program card is also acceptable.

Bermudian Citizens

Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.

Change in Citizenship

If you have become a U.S. citizen, you will need to present a U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization papers when you arrive at Argonne.  Please notify Argonne of this in advance of your arrival. 

* The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) establishes document requirements for travel by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean and Bermuda. SENTRI cards are for entry into the United States from Mexico, and NEXUS cards are for entry into the United States from Canada. The Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards are available to commercial drivers crossing both the northern and southern borders into the United States.



To comment on the contents, please contact