Identification Documents

Argonne National Laboratory is a controlled-access facility. When you arrive, you will be asked to present identification documents. Please obtain the documents appropriate to your situation, according to this list.

U.S. citizens age 16 and over must bring photo-identification that has been issued by the federal government, such as a passport, or by your state government, such as a current driver’s license or a photo-identification card issued to nondrivers by a state’s motor vehicles department. Please be aware, however, that some states issue driver’s licenses that do not have photographs or that are marked with the statement “cannot be used for identification purposes"; these documents, therefore, cannot be used for photo-identification.

Non-U.S. citizens must bring their valid original passport (with I-94 stamp) and applicable visa with any USCIS documentation supporting the visa status and/or renewals (e.g., form I-20 for F-1 students or form DS2019 for J-1 visa holders) to Argonne upon their initial check-in and each time their visa status changes thereafter. Individuals with an employment authorization card must also bring their card with them upon their initial check-in at Argonne. 

Lawful permanent residents of the United States must bring their Green Card AND a government-issued identification document that includes a photograph, such as a driver’s license, with them upon their initial check-in at Argonne. If you currently do not hold a Green Card you may use your passport with the I-551 stamp as identification until your Green Card is issued. Please note that the passport must be valid.   

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participants must present their original and unexpired machine-readable passport containing either a valid I-94 stamp showing a B1 and NOT a B2 entry stamp, or an admission/entry stamp showing a WB and NOT a WT.  Foreign nationals with the following visa classifications are not eligible to hold an Argonne appointment and therefore are not eligible to work at Argonne: W/T, B2, J2 (without EAD), F2, and H4.

Effective January 9, 2009, foreign travelers coming into the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program must "pre-authorize" themselves online through the "Electronic System for Travel Authorization"external site icon (ESTA). It is recommended that you log into ESTA as far in advance of your travel as possible, but no less than 72 hours before departure.

Canadian citizens must present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS* or FAST*). Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are issued only by Michigan, New York, Vermont, Washington, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.

Mexican citizens are required to present a passport with visa or a Border Crossing Card.  A SENTRI* Traveler Program card is also acceptable. 

Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport. 

Further instructions: Instructions on identification requirements for subsequent visits to Argonne will be provided upon check-in. This documentation is required for issuance of appointments and any subsequent appointment renewals. An Argonne photo ID card cannot be issued without the appropriate identification.

* The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) establishes document requirements for travel by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean and Bermuda.  SENTRI cards are for entry into the United States from Mexico, and NEXUS cards are for entry into the United States from Canada. The Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards are available to commercial drivers crossing both the northern and southern borders into the United States. 


Published 1/31/14