For New Users: How to Become an APS User
New User Process Overview
- Register with the APS User Office and receive approval to enter Argonne. (For non-U.S. citizens, special requirements apply and extra time is needed). Upon registration you will be given an APS badge number, which you will need in step 2.
- Apply for beam time.
- Establish a legal agreement between the sponsoring institution and Argonne National Laboratory to cover the research.
- Establish a user account to pay for supplies and services, or proprietary beam time (if necessary.)
- Arrange for delivery of samples/materials prior to your arrival.
- Complete required safety documentation for your experiment, in advance.
- Complete all required training. Once training is complete, you will receive a badge, which will allow you to enter Argonne at any time.
Additional steps may be required if you will access the APS through a Collaborative Access Team (CAT) or Partner User group. If so, contact that organization for additional information specific to its facilities.