Plan Your Arrival
Special arrangements and training are required for your first visit. When you complete your APS orientation, you will be issued an APS badge. With this badge you may enter the site at any time.
Notify User Office
When you know which beamline you'll be using and the date of your beam time, contact the User Office. We will check the status of your request for access and schedule any required orientation and training (630-252-9090, email@example.com).
If you will arrive outside of normal business hours, you must notify the User Office in advance so we can arrange for gate access.
Make Travel Arrangements
When the User Office has notified you that you have been approved for access and your training has been scheduled, you may make your travel plans.
Gather Identification Papers
For non-U.S. citizens, be sure to bring the appropriate documentation of your citizenship and visa status. You may be asked to present it at the gate.
Bring GERT Card
If you have current General Employee Radiation Training (GERT) at another facility, bring your GERT card (shortens orientation process).
- See Visiting the APS for travel information.
- Bring proper attire for work in the experiment hall.
- If you choose to stay off-site, you will need a car.
- Be aware that Argonne is a large site: the APS is more than a mile from the main gate (see directions).
- For transportation from local airports to Argonne, a limousine is usually less expensive than a taxi.
- Regarding currency, you may want to bring some $1 and $5 bills for use in the vending machines on site.