CAT Chat Minutes
December 10, 1999
Information and Follow-up Items
1. What is the status of top-up and what are the plans for future studies?
Preliminary results of the top-up studies will be presented at next weeks TWG meeting. The next studies period during run 2000-1 will be announced shortly.
2. Do we know what the new cyber security requirements are from DOE?
ANL is currently reviewing the requirements. Once we understand what is expected, we will meet with CAT computer representatives to develop implementation plans.
3. During the holidays, can we expect the LN2 system to continue operating?
We do not expect any interruption in the system operation. The outdoor supply dewars are refilled weekly and we will ensure that there will be no suspension in the filling schedule during the holiday period.
4. Can we expect our shutters to be enabled during the next 48-hour studies period?
There are no shielding verifications or other user-related studies planned for the next studies period.
6. Last Saturday, an IOC needed to be rebooted and our ID gap had to be opened. I was called in the middle of the night and asked if the gap could be opened, but I was not the one that could make that determination at the time. Could these calls be avoided by using better judgment and/or a better calling procedure?
We try to provide a courtesy call to notify users if an interruption to data collection will occur. The floor coordinators update the call-in lists at the beginning of each run. The conditions for calling can be established at that time.
The storage ring availability last week was 95%. Only a couple of hours were lost, but as a whole it was an excellent week. The trips that occurred during the Thanksgiving week are still being investigated.
Beginning next week, a 48-hour period of machine studies will begin Monday, December 13 at 0800 hours and end Wednesday, December 15 at 0800 hours. A Special Operating Mode (SOM) period will follow thereafter and continue through December 23 until midnight.
The APS Holiday Luncheon is taking place on Friday, December 17. The cost of the luncheon is $10.00 per person. If you haven't already done so, please sign up in the APS Users Office ASAP.
APS will be celebrating its annual Holiday Feast, on Monday, December 20. This event will be held in the APS Gallery and will start at 11:30. The cost is $2.00 and a favorite dish to share. Please signup in the APS User Office.